The purpose of the role is to ensure the operation of the Exchequer Services department is provided effectively meeting Council targets and objectives, including services which are provided under arrangements with other areas of operation.
The role is responsible for advising Corporate Management and Members on all matters relevant to Exchequer Services to ensure that policies are developed in line with national requirements.
Statutory and Reporting Framework
- Assist the Chief Financial Accountant in setting and implementing the strategic vision and direction of the service, including development and monitoring of a service delivery plan.
- Implement service standards in compliance with National and the Council’s regulatory frameworks.
- Responsible for implementing all legislative changes across the service and Council as a whole. This will include any changes to the ICT systems, policies and procedures.
- To develop and monitor achievement of performance targets.
- Lead and support, where appropriate on the management of new initiatives as they become applicable.
- Interpret, analyse and present data to give advice on decisions relating to service delivery and procurement issues.
- Ensure that financial management systems and operational procedures comply with statutory, corporate guidance and best practice.
- Build strong positive relationships with Members, colleagues and partners to contribute to the overall efficiency of the Council and ensure service development is aligned to National and Council strategies.
- Ensure service processes and procedures are sufficiently robust to prevent and detect benefit and associated fraud.
- Maintaining strict confidentiality of all personal and computerised data in accordance with legislation.
- Operational decisions relating to recruitment, deployment and management of resources within Exchequer Services commensurate with the level of the post.
- Operational decisions relating to service provision including specification of policies and procedures to meet statutory and Council aims.
- Making recommendations on all expenditure to be incurred and procurement relating to Exchequer Services.
- Provide leadership to the staff in the Exchequer Team, including responsibility for supervision, work allocation and performance management with a view to ensuring a highly skilled and resilient workforce.
- Lead the Exchequer Service and ensure delivery of a high quality, cost effective service to the Council in accordance with legislation, financial regulations, corporate and professional standards, deadlines and performance targets.
- Monitor workloads, resources, determine team priorities and provide advice and guidance as well as resolution for issues escalated by the team.
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade.
- Promote equality as an integral part of the role, treating everyone with fairness and dignity.
- Comply with health and safety policies, procedures and rules, taking reasonable care of self and others adhere to the standards set out in the competency framework.