1. Be responsible for all aspects of Project Management for a number of projects and coordinate the work of other staff relating to those projects. Ensure that projects are delivered on time, to budget and to the required quality.
2. Carry out the full duties of Lead Designer during pre-contract phase and that of a Contract Administrator once works start on site. Lead risk management and value engineering exercises.
3. Provide all services in line with recognised professional standards, ie. ARB, RIBA and RICS, except as far as the duties and responsibilities are modified by Islington Council’s internal regulations and procedures.
4. Ensure that all the information required by Islington Council in relation to a project is provided in the form and at the time required (including but not limited to) :
• Tender Acceptance Reports for Senior Management
• Information required by the Home Ownership Unit for the purposes of leaseholder consultation and leasehold service charge calculation
• Regular (monthly) progress reports and project status forms • Entry of data onto Islington’s property database • Provision of data in relation to works affecting energy efficiency
• Completion of timesheets
5. Ensure effective lines of communication exist between all members of the project team, colleagues, and Senior Management; to this end provide up to date monitoring information as and when required, prepare project reports, attend meetings etc
6. Ensure that projects are effectively co-ordinated with any other planned works taking place on the same block or estate
7. Attend and where necessary, chair evening meetings with residents and demonstrate a high level of customer commitment.
8. Ensure appropriate development of project briefs and feasibility studies. Provide advice for the Group Leader regarding changes needed to project briefs, where appropriate
9. Ensure the highest standard of design, budget control and contract management on all projects, paying regard to health and safety, accessibility, energy efficiency, sustainability, and maintenance in accordance with Islington Council’s procedures.
10. Provide advice and guidance as appropriate concerning contract procurement, design and preparation of schemes, specifications, estimates, selection of materials and equipment, contract, and project management matters.
11. Monitor progress of duties against project programmes and targets.
12. Ensure work is in accordance with required standards and current regulations.
13. Examine schemes for feasibility, viability and for adherence to Islington Council’s standards, policies, and practices.
14. Liaise and negotiate with Government department, consultants, statutory undertakings, and other relevant organisations.
15. Examine tenders, invoices, accounts, and claims rendered by contractors and respond appropriately.
16. Ensure adequate liaison with other Council Departments concerning, design, maintenance, and user satisfaction feedback.
17. Undertake investigation and practical research, if required, in relation to new techniques, products and services within the building industry.
18. Monitor fees as required; take corrective measures as necessary and ensure that work is completed within their time and fee allocations. Ensure work is conducted in a cost effective and competitive manner.
19. Participate in the processes for evaluating tenders for the appointment of contractors and sub-contractors, in accordance with Islington’s procurement policies
20. Assist in preparing ongoing programmes of resources and fee income. • Ensure adherence to building and Contract Law.
• Provide a surveying and planning supervisory service.
• Work in a corporate, co-operative, and collaborative way with other colleagues across Islington Council.
21. To ensure that services are provided in accordance with Islington Council’s commitment to “Best Value” and high quality service provision to service users.
22. Use and assist others to use information technology systems to carry out duties in the most efficient and effective manner.
23. At all times carrying out duties and responsibilities within the framework of the Council’s Dignity for all Policy (Equal Opportunities Policy).
24. Carry out duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Council’s Health and Safety policy and relevant Health and Safety legislation.
25. Undertake continuing professional development.
26. Carry out any other minor and/or non-recurring duties, appropriate to the post as may be directed.
27. Recruitment to this post is subject to satisfactory disclosure through the Criminal Records Bureau.